- use miniature marshmallows (they melt faster, so don't cook as long, so the mixture stays softer)
- use fresh Kraft marshmallows
- use the "old" recipe that has a bit more butter than the newer "healthier" recipe
- DON'T overcook the marshmallows!!
- coat the tray in butter not Pam to avoid the "fake" taste
- use the Kellogg's Rice Krispies, not a knock-off brand, for the best taste
- measure the marshmallows and cereal ahead of time so you can just dump in quickly and avoid over-cooking.
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies cereal
butter to smear onto pan/tray
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat (not the high heat Dad usually uses!!). Add the marshmallows and stir just until completely melted (no more!). Remove from heat. Add the cereal and stir until well coated. Pour and press into a buttered 13x9 pan. Wait until cool to cut (but feel free to snitch around the edges while it is cooling!!)
For holidays or special events, sprinkling colored sugar crystals over the top makes them "fancy" and gives a little crunch when eating!! You just have to sprinkle the sugar on when it is still warm so the sugar will stick!!