Recipes for kids abroad. Homeschool and Afterschooling for kids at home.

FOOD!!! Yes, I need pictures! My recipes need pictures around them to identify instead of just a title. They are tweaked to work for us in terms of ease, ingredients frequently on hand, real or pure ingredients(for the most part), our family taste, and usually SOY-FREE or easily adapted to be SOY-FREE. SOY-FREE tagged recipes still mean you have to know what ingredients you are putting in are truly SOY-FREE and even if is was SOY-FREE in the past, you have to check it each time you buy it. Ingredients change frequently and can even be different from store to store or expiration date to expiration date for the same product. Homeschool and Afterschooling notes and ideas are here too. I'll probably separater the blog later, but for now, this is the place for family and friends to look. Time Impaired Living has many definitions that I may update as time goes on or doesn't. To begin with, I'll say that Time Impaired includes time lost because of the schedule of a wonderfully dynamic family. It also includes the nonexistent sense of time when disability kicks in.
To see or print the recipes, Mouse over the image and you can enlarge the recipe. You can also enlarge it a second time.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

“My Book House” edited by Olive Beaupre Miller

“My Book House” edited by Olive Beaupre Miller is my favorite collection of children's literature.  The 1st edition is my favorite in the green binding from 1922.  The second set that I have enjoyed is the blue bound set published in 1948 for a thirty second printing with a copyright of 1937.  As I was reading from book 2, "Story Time", to my son this morning, I thought of looking online again to see what was currently available and found that some of the editions and volumes are online.

This morning we enjoyed reading "The Little Red Hen and the Grain of Wheat," "The Little Gray Pony," "Ole Shut-Eyes, the Sandman," "The Two Crabs," and "Belling the Cat."  Volume two has shorter stories with many authors as well as fables adapted from AESOP.  Volume one has wonderful Nursery Rhymes and Verse with Illustrations.  All the volumes have great illustrations and I would love to frame many of them but the books are too wonderful to take apart.  My mother read these as a child and she read them to me, and I read them myself and to my sibbling, and now I am reading them with my children.  I hope to find digital easily read versions for my children to have them for their children. 

There was a reprint sometime in the 1970's or 1980's but so much had been taken out that they weren't the same.  Although, if one of those versions were available, I would probably buy it.  The older copies' pages are getting brittle and their are fewer and fewer available online and in bookstores.

As time permits, I may do more with My Bookhouse on this blog but for now, here's some starter resources if you aren't lucky enough to have any of the volumes or didn't grow up reading them.

A 1921 easily read scanned version of the "The Latch Key" volume can be found at :
http://www.archive.org/stream/thelatchkey01millarch#page/n5/mode/2up
If the link doesn't work, try a copy and paste in the browser or the site may be gone.

The following two links are to a blog by a librarian in South Carolina that gives some good information about the volumes.
http://mybookhouse.net/about-ms-kathy/

http://www.mybookhouse.com/2006/09/my-book-house-backstory.html

Wikepedia also has some information on the author and the series.

No comments: